Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Flush DNS - EDITED to include additional instructions.

Honestly, 1 and 1 has been THE worst customer service experience of our entire lives. I can't even begin to describe the hell they've put us through - especially Erick who has been on the phone with them, getting the run around for two straight days. What some of you are experiencing now (not being able to get on the site) is a result of yet another one of their underhanded tactics. If you are having trouble accessing DST, here are some suggestions:

If you are unable to access the site, you may need to wait 24-48 hours for your cached DNS queries to update. You can try these things:

1) Clear your cache

2) In Microsoft Windows, open the command prompt (start->programs->accessories). type in the command ipconfig /flushdns to flush the DNS resolver cache.

3) Start>Run
At the prompt, type CMD
In the DOS window type ipconfig/flushdns
once it's done, type this into the same prompt: ipconfig/registerdns

IF YOU HAVE VISTA:

Click Start > Run > Right Click on "Run as Administrator"
At the prompt, type CMD
In the DOS window type ipconfig/flushdns
Once it's done, type this into the same prompt: ipconfig/registerdns

IF YOU HAVE MAC:
In Mac OSX, you can use the command lookupd -flushcache to flush the DNS resolver cache.

bash-2.05a$ lookupd -flushcache



The site itself is now under the care of a new hosting company. The domain name cannot be changed over for another 40-something days so that is still hosted with 1 and 1. We're hoping this is the last problem we get from this terrible company.

22 comments:

Demetria said...

So Sorry to hear about the hosting problems... I'll keep checking back in. I followed your instructions and still can't get in. Thanks for posting an update!

Demetria

Anonymous said...

I cannot get in either - nothing seems to work. Will keep checking back here. Thanks for the update.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Bummer! Can you go into your 1and1 acct and point to the new nameservers (or whatever it's called)? Although I guess that can take some time too.

What a nightmare for you guys!

Lena Brandenburg said...

Shannon...I'm 'out' for now...I will keep trying but if I don't pop up in the morning, you'll know why. I am so sorry for the headache...much a bigger inconvenience to you than me!

Anonymous said...

I don't have windows so I'm not sure how the flush thingie works on a MAC. I'm having someone send me the start up page where I can log in and that helped me the last time so hope it will help this time. It's it a headache when you have a bad company. You wonder how these guys stay in business!!

Anonymous said...

It worked! I'm in, Shannon! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

yay, the DNS flushing worked for me!

I have Vista and had to set my Command thing to run as administrator first.

Anonymous said...

I just canceled my domain and hosting packages through 1 and 1 as well because of how HORRIBLE their service was. I hate that stupid company. Sorry you're having such problems with them as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm a mac user so I don´t know how to get in, do you know any trick?
bernardia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I did the dns flush, cleared my cache and everything and still can't log in. Is there anything else I can try?

kaylaugh

Anonymous said...

I still cannot get in either - how much longer do you think? Was 48 hours the longest?

Barbara

Anonymous said...

I cannot get on either. I get page under construction when I type in the dst url. :(

Jana

Unknown said...

thanks for the info Shannon! Will try them when I get home tonight! i too am soo sorry you're having this headache to deal with!

AmyM said...

Nothing seems to work for me either Shannon. But thanks for trying, and I hope you get your website up and running soon! God bless

ArtcTrish said...

I'm sorry sweetie this happened to you. I'm glad you are with a better company now and I was thrilled to get back on to DST this morn...but not before coming over here to say thanks for all you do!!!

Anonymous said...

this worked for me the other day, but now it doesn't, and I have tried twice. any other ideas or am I out for 40 days? LOL
acarey@nc.rr.com
(mizamylou on the board)

Anonymous said...

I can't get in either. Thanks for the update & the instructions. I miss DST! Sorry this is happening.
-Fshinggrl

Elizabeth said...

My personal blog is hosted by 1 & 1, and I get no traffic so it's not a problem. But I will no longer recommend them after this fiasco!

Christine Smith said...

I'm so bummed that I can't get in...I started a thread I *really* want to read :(

Unknown said...

I am still not able to see the site. I tried the flush above :( I hope there is something resolved soon. I actually get a page that tells me the domain is newly registered.

Anonymous said...

I am able to get on and log in to the gallery but cannot login in the forum. So, something weird is going on....